Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Math and More Math

We baked a loaf of bread, baked a quiche, played at the park and changed out our books at the library. We also squeezed in a trip to Aldi's, where DD discovered the Aldi's Wish List. It never occurred to me that Disney would have infiltrated Aldi's, but I was wrong. Then she spent the next few minutes in the car whispering her wish list to Santa. All I was able to hear was a request for an Ariel doll.

We also played a game called Number Train. I photocopied it out of the First Grader book from yesterday's post. You roll two die, add them together and color in one of the eleven cars between the engine and the caboose. We used bingo chips to help DD do the addition. I thought she would separate the chips into two groups: 5, then 4 for example. She did, at first. Then she began counting sequentially, which I thought was pretty amazing. I've been trying to emphasize more math lately. It occured to me that if I loved numbers as much as I love words, DD would be a numbersmith instead of a wordsmith. Of course, there is no reason why she can't be both.

No comments: