Tuesday, October 13, 2009

You Are So Nashville If

the Kidman-Urban clan drops by the story hour at your library. It's true and you can imagine how cool-less I was. I happened to look up as they entered the room and was completely gobsmacked. But wait, it gets better. I casually (ha ha) lean over to speak with my friend.

Me: (stage whisper) I don't want to alarm you, but Nicole Kidman just walked through the door.
My friend: What?
Me: (now making use of my nonexistent ventriloquist skills) Nicole Kidman is here at storytime.
My friend: Now?
Me: (more ventriloquism/hissing) Yes. Now. On the back row. Be cool.

I tried to be so cool that I didn't even snag a look at their daughter. I was just thanking the lord that I had taken a shower this morning and was wearing clean clothes. Not that they cared, of course, but it certainly made me feel better about the whole encounter.

It was an excellent story hour, hosted by VOLUNTEERS. Our city has difficulty providing funding for anything beyond the most basic needs and this mother-daughter duo volunteer their time to provide an entertaining and educational story hour. Kudos and thanks to these amazing women. And they can tell their friends they performed for Nicole Kidman. Bonus.

We took the kids to picnic and play at Dragon Park. They had a ball, except for the strange individual who commandeered the teeter totter for the entire time we were at the park. That would be three hours, people. Someone boldly placed her daughter on the other side of the teeter totter, but he continued to stay on. I'm just calling it determination and moving on.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

i probably wouldn't have realized it was her and introduced myself like an idiot!