Friday, March 4, 2011

Flying Paper Airplanes

Apropos of nothing more than a vague, but unsettling feeling that things could be better, I've been feeling inspired to read a bit more John Holt lately, so I'm revisiting Learning All the Time. Each time I read something by Holt, I'm reminded of what I should be doing. If there is a rung below "facilitator," then I should be on it. My revised job description should read something like astute observer who provides the best possible materials and also chaueffeurs.

Today, DD made paper airplanes according to the instructions written by Mythbusters. I resisted many, though regrettably not all, impulses to confuse help. She had fun customizing her craft and measuring its flight patterns. She did a hundred happy things throughout the day, few of which required my assistance, and she reported to me late this afternoon that she had had a nice day. Score one more for John Holt.



2 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh mama...I understand. I read somewhere, "teaching is like spreading an extravagant buffet for the child." Give them a delectible variety, to appeal to all their senses, then step back and let them fill their own plate. It's that stepping back part I have a hard time with. :)

Gamu said...

Your blog is just amazing. What a record!