Monday, February 22, 2010

A Pilgrimage

We visited the Country Music Hall of Fame today. I've wanted to see it for years, but the steep price of adult admission ($15) kept me away. Luckily, our homeschool group organized a trip. We made it downtown by 9 AM on a Monday morning (in and of itself a miracle, esp. since DD didn't emerge from her room until 7:55 AM). We saw all of the exhibits: lots of swag. Among my favorites:

These boots complete me.


E's solid gold caddy complete with television and car phone to communicate with the driver. I can dig it.


Patsy Cline's dress. Her actual dress. Need I type more?

And the piece de resistance: the squirrel sculpture. Squirrels, shot by the man himself, stuffed and displayed in all their Grand Ole Opry glory. This, my friends, is why I love the South.
I was so disappointed when I discovered that the gift shop hadn't stocked any Hank Williams/squirrel memorabilia. A glaring oversight.
DD dropped some of her Valentine's Day ducats on another horse?!?!? We have one that came with Cinderella's castle, another horse we bought from Ringling Brothers, and now a hall of fame horse. I think this one may be for the Pixie Hollow contingency currently residing in her doll house.
After leaving the museum, we walked over to the Shelby Street bridge and ate our lunch. It was a nice lunch, in spite of the cold wind and the incessant jackhammering . Seriously.
We came home and started day one of our new FIAR curriculum by reading Madeline, a major favorite in this household. Then we looked up information about France in our handy Kingfisher Concise Children's Encyclopedia, which we picked up for a song at McKay's. Life continues to be good.


4 comments:

Sherry Gann said...

I am so glad life is good, but...

maybe I'm going blind, but if I had not seen that squirrel thing in person already, I'd be mighty perturbed right about now trying to figure it out on that postage stamp of a photo! Please make 'em bigger or let me come help you figure out how.

~Leslie said...

Hi Amy,
I really enjoy reading your blog. I grew up in Nashville, so it's nice to see some familiar sites every now and then!

Also, I gave you the Beautiful Blogger Award today. You can read more about it on my blog: http://home-grownkids.blogspot.com. I'd be honored if you accept it!

Amy said...

Wow, Leslie, thank you! If you ever come through Nashville, let us know. It would be great to meet you and we could cruise some of your favorite haunts. Thanks again!

Mandy said...

i think i've been to the hall of fame but i was so young that i certainly didn't appreciate it! :) i would LOVE to go back!